Saturday 14 May 2011

Nam June Paik


I first saw this artist in 2009 when I viewed his piece TV Cello , in the The 6th Asia Pacific Triennial of Contemporary Art (APT6). I later went on to do my year 12 assignment on Paik and his work. He in many ways may have been the father of video art for the fluxus movement and for the whole art community, but Paik was the father for my love of video art. From viewing his pieces in the perspective of someone who has accessed to far superior technology that a Sony playback recorder Paik work is still as relevant as it was in the 60’s. His juxtaposition of religion and naked women, music and tv, and performers, he is still a solid inspiration in my practice. Although my work to me feels as though it is not worthy to be considered video art among those of Paik it is his defined style that gives me hope for the development in my practice and eventually my own recognisable style like Paik. Today I had a laugh when I found that in every book that has “video” and “art” in the same title always have Paik in the book somewhere, and Bruce Numen, but hey he’s already been blogged.


Here are some of my favorite pieces by him:

Nam June Paik: Reclining Buddha, 1994
2 color televisions, 2 Pioneer laser disk players, 2 original Paik laser disks, found object Buddha, 20 x 24 x 14 inches


Electronic Superhighway



TV Cello and TV cello performance 



TV bra for living sculpture. 


:)

References:
Popper, F (1993) Art of the Electronic Age. Page 60. Thames and Hudson Ltd.: London

Likeyou-the artnetwork (n.b) Nam June Paik accessed 12/5/2011 http://www.likeyou.com/en/node/11119

Killahbezz (2011) The Electronic Superhighway accessed 12/5/2011 http://www.killahbeez.com/2009/01/06/the-electronic-superhighway/

No comments:

Post a Comment